Saturday, April 9, 2011

how images influence of our perceptions of things..

As an amateur, I find myself browsing the web sometimes to look at professional photographer’s work; sometimes to learn different techniques I am not aware of or to simply appreciate different works of art.  Living in a society where images influence fashion, body images, lifestyles, ideas of beauty, fashion, “the coolness of things” or what have you, it is remarkable to acknowledge how without knowing it, we live in a world where different forms of “art” if you choose to view it this way, influences our interests and perception of life. And the interest makes these images appear among us constantly whether we know it or not. In my own experience with taking photos, I find it interesting how the people I photograph often come up with poses that they have either seen online or typical of what is either sexy or beautiful portrayed everywhere in today’s photos.  Sometimes I wonder, without the internet, where most of our ideas and lifestyles illustrated in photos would have been. Not to get me wrong, I’m not implying a cause and effect but rather the idea that the internet allows these perceptions  to be more prevalent in our society today. Personally, I do not appreciate it as much because I often discover that when I ask people to really be themselves, my photographs turn out simple, evocative and original.  I do not believe that art should be practiced as imitations or copies; however with a sense of heartfelt and originality that comes from one’s perception of things. Someone could argue otherwise, because as humans we enjoy the norms of life and having fun by adapting the way we take pictures as we see them professionalize or typical and there is no fault in that. However, when photographs are focused to be artistic, I believe that it is good to set it apart from the norms of things.

                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment