Monday, April 11, 2011

from one idea to the next

I might have mentioned how often times, photographs have inspired me to develop story plots to write; or how occasionally when I have story plot, I picture scenes in my mind and later recreate those words and thoughts into photographs. In some ways, I live and breathe both art forms because they create in me a way to define life to a point where mere thoughts come alive and are able to be shared with others. To give you a gist of what I’m mumbling about: for the past year and a half, I have been working on a story of a young man in his first year of college with Sickle Cell anemia battling with the pain and crisis of his disease while attempting to pursue his dreams of becoming a theater performer.  Months before developing the story’s plot, I was reviewing a recent photo shoot where one photo captured a sense of distress and crisis in the face of the person in the photo. Looking over the photograph several times, I started to think of a possible liaison between someone battling with a genetically predisposed disease while desiring to pursue a passionate interest (heater performance) -initiating a conflict. The story is much more complex than this mere summary.  But my point is that I love the idea that different forms of art can combine together or inspire one thing that later leads to another. I think that other people can relate in different grounds such as how music, a novel, poetry, a speech, an idea or what have you may bring inspiration for one to create “something else” or come up with ideas of things that would not have come to life if not inspired in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. I like photographing people and their daily life too, showing them as a story.

    ReplyDelete