Friday, April 8, 2011

how I started with photography


I do not believe that I have discussed how I was interesting in photography and wanted to become my own photographer. Well, many photographers start the same way. They love capturing moments, emotions, things, events and people around them. I loved getting to know my friends and my world through photographs. This just means that sometimes photographs offer a way to see the world in a different light and it has the influence to shine light on the meaning of things just as life is meaningful. When I started, I would find myself photographing life as though they held secret meanings that no one could discern except me. Sometimes, when in the car a couple of friends, I would initiate a game where we would take photos of people or things happening, just so we could talk and laugh about them later. Though you may find me mad to pull off such wickedness ; personally, I believe those were one of the moments that made me realize that my friends and I would not furtively take photos of things to talk about them later, but rather we were instead interpreting and putting meaning in those photos. I think art in photography is the same. Now, many times I find myself distinguishing between what I deem as good photographs from normal photos. When I got my first personal camera, I begin capturing random and unnoticeable moments to find meaning to them. In the photos I was capturing back then, I would look for very ordinary everyday things that most people fail to notice in order to show them through a light that hopefully others would deem to be artistic and significant. My theory is that the more we understand the significance of things, the more we appreciate the world around us.  

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post. That's what I love about photography too, the fact that it can create beauty from the ugly and the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thing is that we may be able to find something pleasing in one photo while someone else would find something else pleasing which I think makes you be able to appreciate photography even more.

    ReplyDelete