Wednesday, March 30, 2011

...writing community.

Previously, I didn’t discuss much about the writing community. Here, I will discuss book authors/novelist or what have you particularly.  As the internet makes an impact on many’s life in one way or another, I feel that it provides a straightforward way for novelists to publicize their work once it is out in the market. It provides a way for readers and fans to follow them, to know the latest they have written, to stay informed about books release dates and more commonly today, to even purchase those works online instead of waiting for it in the bookstores. I can say myself that most of the novels I buy, which lately have been Jodi Picoult’ works; I’ve bought them online.  To use Jodi Picoult as an example, she has a website that discusses her life in writing, what she’s working on, and when her new works get released (considering she is an annual publisher). I feel more connected to her writing in this way and I have much appreciation of who she is because I know her in another level that without the internet I would not know. 

It’s incredible today that there are various sites where readers can purchase books such as www.amazon.com and other personal sites that link you straight to a purchasing link guaranteed. As a reader, I really appreciate this.  There are ways you can follow the authors on social sites, email them and get them to appreciate your comments and my personal favorite BOOK CLUBS!!! What I like most about this is that the internet allows criticism from readers to be made public instead of the old fashion that criticisms marked on the book are the only important ones.  It allows readers to say something straight to the author. Beyond the little information that explains how the book came about; personal websites allow readers to watch interviews or author’s video post that elaborate more about how the story came about. There is so much to say about this, but I’ll stop for now.


P.s Above is “Sing me Home” by Jodi Picoult, a novel I bought online right after it came out. A couple of months before its release, I remember following her writing process & impatiently waiting for its release day!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! Fan bases on the Internet allow cross country connection among loyal followers. Authors can get instant feedback about the reception of their novels. The Internet has built a bridge between the reader and the author that allows for a more intimate connection. It makes reading that much more fun. :-D

    ReplyDelete